HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
LOCKHART BILL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:58:12 -0700
I just returned from an excavation and somehow missed the first posting on this
subject.  There are some pretty major problems with much of the Kendrick material.
We have learned a bit since the early 1960s.

Her solarized amethyst data are not very accurate.  I looked up the import records
(as part of an article that the journal of HA has been sitting on for quite a while), and
we never imported any noteable quantity of manganese from Germany.  The move
away from manganese decolorization was because of a change in manufacturing
techniques, not a war issue.  About 1920 would be a closer end date.

Kendricks used empirical data (sometimes a great method, sometimes not) derived
from bottle observation.  According to chemists in the 1930s (as I recall--the date
may be a little later or earlier), selenium was never the cause of "straw-colored"
glass.  I will save the punch line about the real culprit when I publish the next article.
Selenium is still--in the year 2003--used to decolor glass!!  References to straw-
colored glass appear much later than 1930 (1970s, I seem to recall), and it is
probably not an accurate dating device.  I do agree with Kendricks that the bulk of
glass that will solarize to a "straw color" was probably made during the ca. 1914-
1930 period.  In any event, there are no "solid" dates for the process  (which
probably was used as early as the 1890s and at least into the 1950s).

When citing Kendrick's work, remember that she is also the one who said you could
date bottles by observing how high the mold line goes up the neck--a method that
has been thoroughly disproved.  Kendricks did great work for the time period, but it is
time to begin looking to research done by archaeologist and more up-to-date
collectors.

Bill

Bill Lockhart
New Mexico State University