HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Schuyler, Robert L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2017 21:53:26 +0000
Source:  100,000 prehistorians and most historians assuming they have ever heard of Historical Archaeology. A few historians have recently done much better - e.g. Simon Shama (2005) ROUGH CROSSING: BRITAIN, THE SLAVES AND THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION and David Hackett Fisher (2008) CHAMPLAIN'S DREAM.

Your quote is from Deetz but I am not sure of the source. It reminds me of when I was asked to read Ivor Noel Hume's full site report ms. on Martin's Hundred for possible publication by U of Penn Press. It is a spectacular site report and, as usual, very well written about an amazing 17th century site. However, at the end Hume  says why bother ever doing such an excavation again!!. I urged its publication and do not remember if we got the author to take out that statement. It is amazing how historical archaeologists manage to shoot themselves in the foot with such statements or even define their specialization out of existence.

Robert L. Schuyler
University of Pennsylvania Museum
3260 South Street
Philadelphia, PA l9l04-6324