HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Philip Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 12:23:49 -0500
Nice job Kevin! We missed you at the SHA.
I particularly like your point about the motivation of pothunters. Many of
my experience profess an almost spiritual or mystical connection to the
objects and the people who used them. The money is a big part of the game
but not the whole point. Maybe one of the reason for the unproductive
discussion between "us" and "them" (oh, those binary oppositions sure come
in handy) is that we have underestimated the reverence underlying the whole
pothunting world. After all, thousands of civil war site visitors--and it is
the Civil War world that has the most active pothunters--are not purchasing
some dumb minnie ball or horse buckle to resell it at a higher price. they
want a connection to an event, an ancestor, a mythical simpler time. What
would Tony Horowitz have to say about his? And where do we sit in that goal?