HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 15:15:25 -0400
We're all in a state of transition (and probably confusion) in the
transfer from film (which is not immutable, it just takes longer) to
digital. Floppies and 3.5" diskettes are now as available as buggy
whips. CD's, DVD's, whatever are a transitory technology. Where it
appears to be headed is massive servers with multiple backups that
will have the images for online use. The advantage is that they are
in effect originals.

States with very firm, as in set in cement, policies about prints for
archives had an end-run of some CRM firms handing them B&W prints on
photo paper from high-res inkjet printers using archival quality
black inks and being accepted because they looked enough like the
stipulated type. Those same states seem now to be going to mass
storage of digital, thankfully.

The technology is there. The archival mindset needs to fully come to
grips with it and work within that framework.

Lyle Browning