HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Roe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2017 14:16:04 +1000
Travelling Stories: connecting people and landscapes

A conference with a difference!

We are pleased to announce the first-ever collaboration between the Australasian Society for Historical Archaeology (ASHA) and Interpretation Australia (IA) will be a joint conference to be held in Tasmania in October 2017.  The conference will bring people together to explore new ways of telling stories about the important landscapes, places and environments in which we live and work.

It will be a travelling conference, moving through venues from Launceston to Hobart via key places along the Midlands Highway including the World Heritage-listed Brickendon; Ross; the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary and the Shene Estate.

We anticipate the attendance of people from a broad range of disciplines and professions to explore common ground and approaches.

The conference theme will allow for the development of joint sessions and cross-disciplinary discussions about how data and research become transformed into knowledge and how knowledge can be shared with a wide range of audiences in a constantly changing world. The two organisations are developing also conference sessions that relate to their professional interests and concerns, and which enable the delivery of papers about both natural and cultural environments.

We aim to address the conference experience through an exploration of the excitingly complex and interesting landscapes of Tasmania and beyond, using both formal conference sessions and informed site visits. The conference will integrate field excursions with thematic discussions rather than relegating field trips to pre- or post-conference optional extras (although there will be some of those too!). In all of the conference deliberations the focus will be on the telling of new stories, using established and developing technologies for better interpretive outcomes, and in reaching audiences that previously may have seemed either physically remote or challenging to engage. We aim to foster new thinking, profitable collaborations and an atmosphere that encourages challenging the status quo.

We have issues a call for sessions and registrations for the conference are now open.

For:
regular updates about the conference programme, site visits, workshops, and poster sessions
calls for sessions and papers
and/or
to register

please visit the conference website at: http://portarthur.org.au/activities/travelling-stories/

David Roe,
For the Organizing Committee

This email was scanned by Bitdefender
'The Port Arthur Historic Sites include three of the eleven historic sites that together form the Australian Convict Sites World Heritage Property'

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER
The information in this transmission may be confidential and/or protected by legal professional privilege, and is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed. If you are not such a person, you are warned that any disclosure, copying or dissemination of the information is unauthorised. If you have received the transmission in error, please immediately contact this office by telephone, fax or email, to inform us of the error and to enable arrangements to be made for the destruction of the transmission, or its return at our cost. No liability is accepted for any unauthorised use of the information contained in this transmission.