HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Lawrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 08:47:44 +1100
>For those of us who belong to the Society of Historical Archaeology, there
>is currently a heated discussion about joining with SOPA (Society of
>Professional Archaeologists) and SAA (Society for American Archaeology) to
>establish ROPA (Registry of Professional Archaeologists). The proposal is
>contained in the March SHA NEWSLETTER, and the vote will be in December.

Hi Anita

I'll take you up on this one!  As an historical archaeologist teaching at
university level in Australia, I am very concerned about professional
standards and fully support initiatives like ROPA.  I am an associate
member of an equivalent organisation here, the Australian Association of
Consulting Archaeologists, and am also involved in moves to organise a more
broadly-based professional body here in the state of Victoria, the
Australian Institute of Professional Archaeologists.  However, as a life
member of SHA, I have reservations about the current proposal.  At a time
when SHA and the journal, HA, are making a number of moves aimed at
increasing international membership and dialogue, I find it peculiar that
we are also considering a proposal that will see all members having to
support an external organisation that is only of benefit and relevance to
those working in the United States.  I know that the SHA is largely an
American organisation which undertakes many initiatives on behalf of its
American membership, eg political lobbying, educational programs etc.,
which is fair enough.  The ROPA proposal however will see us making a
long-term financial commitment to an organisation which does not represent
the interests of myself or the many other members of the SHA who do not
work in the United States.  Bob Schuyler presented a statistical breakdown
of SOPA membership of other organisations - what is the statistical
breakdown of the membership of SHA which is not American, let alone the
avocational component who could not join ROPA anyway?

In my opinion, support for ROPA should be voluntary for those to whom it is
relevant, rather than compulsorary for all of us.

Dr Susan Lawrence
Department of Archaeology
La Trobe University
Bundoora, Victoria