HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"L. D Mouer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:34:40 -0400
James,

In Virgina the DOT has a large archaeology and architectural history staff
spread among several regions. This staff does much of architecture
entirely in-house these days. The archaeologists do a lot of smaller
projects, categorical exclusions, and the like. They also do som Phase I
(identification) surveys. They still farm the majority of the larger
Identification surveys, and probably all the evaluations, data recoveries,
etc. to consultants. People to talk to would be Antony Opperman or Mark
Wittkofski in the central office of VDOT, Environmental Div., in Richmond.

Glad you didn't ask my opinion of this system, however.

Dan Mouer
Virginia Commonwealth University
http://www.freedomnet.com/~dmouer/homepage.htm