HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Ewen, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2013 16:06:44 +0000
I was at the meeting last year that the National Geographic convened after
they got an earful from the profession concerning their show Diggers (not
to be confused with Spike's American Diggers, which is an unredeemable
travesty).  The show's producers listened to us and agreed to make
changes.  I have seen the new series and it is an improvement. They record
provenience, work with established archaeologists, and do not sell the
artifacts they find (they go to a local repository).  Will all
archaeologists like the show?  Probably not.  Are the show's hosts two,
over the top, silly people?  Yes. Is it a compromise we can live with? I
think so, but watch the show and make your own decision.  Also explore
their website (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/diggers/) and
try and look at it from the perspective of someone who is not a
professional archaeologist.  I presented a paper on this subject at the
recent SHA meetings in Leicester and will summarize it on the SHA blog
(after I get caught up with my classes!)
--
Charles R. Ewen, PhD
Professor, Department of Anthropology