HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nancy O'Malley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 10:35:10 EST
Larry--I was involved in a similar project connected with my Kinkeadtown
excavation in Lexington, Kentucky.  A privately run facility called The
Living Arts and Sciences Center (coincidentally housed in the former house
turned office space of George Kinkead who established Kinkeadtown) sponsored
the project and got the grant funding in place.  Basically, the kids began
their trip at the Center where they learned about archaeology by doing
various activites, then they walked down to the site and I showed them
around and gave a short presentation on what we were doing.  These were
school children who lived in the neighborhood and part of the project was
to produce a video of their perception of their neighborhood.  The resulting
video was wonderful and the project was considered a great success.
I am told that kids are still talking about it even a few years later.
I am sure that Marty Hinton, the director of the Center, would be happy
to share her experience with you.  Her number is 606-252-5222.