HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lockhart, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:42:21 -0600
I am working with the folks trying to track down the final days of Amelia Earhart.  The group has been excavating on Nikomroro, a Pacific Island (and I may not have spelled it correctly) and have found a number of artifacts that may or may not pertain to Amelia.  One of them asked me to pass this on to the group.  Hopefully someone can shed some light.

Thanks,

Bill Lockhart

 Bill -- I'm wondering if you could check with the Histarch list to see if anyone can advise me about the internal construction of biscuit/tea/sardine/etc. tins from the early 20th century.  Among the ferrous artifacts in and around the SL-feature at the Seven Site is something that was rectangular, 40 cm. on at least one side, made of thin metal but with multiple layers in places (probably toward the edges/corners), held together at least in part using multiple small rivets, and (I think) with edges that were rolled around straight, stiff wires or rods.  A biscuit/tea/etc. can is a prime suspect, because they'd be present both in the colonial village and very likely in the Norwich City food cache, but I don't know if there's such a thing as such a can with all the above attributes.  Below are some hopefully illustrative illustrations.  Any help you can mobilize would be very much appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Tom

Photos of the artifacts are available at:

http://www.tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/artifacts.html .

Bill Lockhart
Associate Professor of Sociology
New Mexico State University