HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 1996 10:05:07 EST

> Greetings,
>
> I am interested in learning of projects that include distributed GIS and
> public archaeology.  I would enjoy sharing ideas on issues and opportunities
> related to integrating geographic information systems and the World Wide Web
> -- this effort employed for goals in public archaeology.  Please contact me
> at [log in to unmask] , thanks.

Dear Chester:

Here at the Virginia SHPO we are in the throes of creating a
GIS which at the moment involves only point and polygon information about
sites and historic properties.  They have just gotten to the
point of printing out the info for one of our regional
offices.  The objective is to set up a Web page which will have
links to the GIS, the National Register and Survey databases
that we have in a very old program (Integrated Preservation
Software) and a newer bibliographic database of the CRM and
other holdings in our library/archives.  Its ALL under
construction so to speak - very few people in our Department
are even online yet.

It is my section that is doing it, (and I did order a lot of
the equipment and configure it) -- but a Professor from Virginia
Commonwealth University and students from his classes are being
paid under a co-operative agreement to do the data entry.  This
particular project is being funded by the National Park
Service.  One of their guys came down a couple of weeks ago and
did a demo of some script programing he had done that links
things together (and in some case converts data) that makes it
all very accessible and user friendly.  I can get you his name
and phone number, etc. if you are interested -- I don't have it
here at home.

Our big bug-a-boo is getting the IPS data (database material
about the surveys and register nominations) into something that
can be read by everything else.  The Park Service is working on
that.  Until that is solved, our Web page isn't going to have
much on it.

I can give you general stuff, and when we get our new Archivist
I can give her your e-mail address.  She will be directly
overseeing that project.  GOOD LUCK

--

Melba J. Myers, Conservator                             mmyers @leo.vsla.edu
                                                           Internet: [log in to unmask]