HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Mohler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:08:04 -0400
Dan,

It may not fully escape Section 106 review if there are federal permits
involved and how the permit areas are defined (i.e. individual vs.
nationwide).  In NC, there are numerous DOT projects that one would think
are federally funded, but are not.  Section 106, however, kicks in because
of the federal permits involved.  In the Alabama scenario, if there are no
permits and there are no federal funds, then the only recourse might be
based on current state legislation to which I would not be able to speak.

Paul J. Mohler
NCDOT Archaeologist