Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2017 14:25:55 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Linda, We have a few sherds of Chinese porcelain from the Presidio de Nuestra Senora de Pilar de Los Adaes with red and green over glaze pigment, but it is only delicate lines, no solid areas like yours. Here it is fugitive and often the colors are gone or going. The surface is etched so oblique light will show where it once was at time. Los Adaes dates between 1723 and 1773. I have no other information on these sherds. There is a thesis on the oriental porcelains at the University of California asw I recall. Contact Dr.George Avery at Stephen F. Austin University in Nacogd9oches, Texas. He may be more helpful . The technique is interesting.
Pete Gregory
Williamson Museum
Northwestern State University
Natchitoches, LA 71497

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Linda Hylkema
Sent: Monday, January 9, 2017 6:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: help with ceramic ID

I've been trying to ID this Chinese (I assume) porcelain ceramic piece.
There isn't anything quite like it online except something on Pinterest.
That online link is: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/492933121686556055/.
The date suggested online is Ming, 16th century, which is way too old for the site I'm working on. The context for my sherd is a Spanish Colonial mission site in California. The site dates from ca. 1784 to the 1830's.

http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/Linda_Hylkema/media/red%20green%20overglaze%20porcelain_zpshnopbimb.jpg.html

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Linda Hylkema, RPA
Director, Cultural Resource Management, Santa Clara University
W: *408-554-4513* | C: *408-219-5748* | Ricard Observatory | 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053 [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2