HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tim Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2013 13:17:39 -0700
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had some tips on removing iron stains/concretions from ceramics.  Last year we discovered a well laden with several cubic feet of cultural material that we've determined was part of a cleanout of the house in April 1910.  Ceramics range from circa 1840s redware to early 20th century porcelain.  Much of the material is in good condition ready for refit/reassembly however some of the fragments have stubborn iron/rust concretions.  I've heard suggestions of using products such as CLR and Whink but was wondering if anyone had some tips or other suggestions as we have quite a bit to deal with.  The assemblage includes a range of materials and decoration such as underglaze transferprints, overglaze decals, white granite (white ironstone), earthenware, stoneware, and porcelain.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tim Bennett
Warner Site