HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tim Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:26:57 -0400
Ron,
Being an easterner, I'm not familiar with this case. I certainly wouldn't
refute your first-hand observation, but would be curious to see what the
report submitted for peer review looked like, and who all the various
"theys" are that wouldn't accept it for publication or who laughed at it. I
assume there's a draft report prepared for publication, and, as a case study
of the irrational conservatism in our own field it would be valuable to
review it now.

As for post-modern, post-processualist "just so stories", as one of my
collegues likes to call them, I admit my biases overlooked them completely.
To make it explicit, I've always assumed this was just a little dead-end
by-way in the progress of social science, and science in general. A sort of
hiccup in the otherwise progressive digestion of knowledge. Yes, I know:
"Old Fogey! Old Fogey!" or is it "old-new Old Fogey"?

We certainly can't require anyone who explicitly disavows the scientific
method to adhere it's primitive terms. Writing scripts for Laura Crofts
cartoons is probably more rewarding than stodgy old academic enquiry, so
maybe a career change is indicated for those who don't have the stomach for
rigorous debate.

Tim T.
Grumpy old pedant