HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Peter Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 20:10:54 +0930
Hi Iain,

As I'm sure you know, South Australia had eight Hoffman kilns, all in
Adelaide: two at Blackwood, and one each at Glen Osmond, Gilburn, Burnside,
Torrensville, Allenby Gardens, and Renown Park.  Only the Torrensville one
is still standing, now incorporated into the Brickworks Market.  Most of
the others were demolished in the 1950s and 60s, but the Allenby Gardens
and Glen Osmond kilns were only demolished within the last ten years.

However there is (or was when I saw it in 1991) a very well preserved
Hoffman kiln at Palmerston North in New Zealand.  Geoffrey Thornton's book
New Zealand's Industrial Heritage (Reed, Wellington, 1982) mentions several
others, including a rather nice circular example at Ashburton which was
still standing when the book was published.  Neville Ritchie
<[log in to unmask]> may be able to provide an update on these.

Cheers,  Peter Bell

Dr Peter Bell, Historical Research Pty Ltd
PO Box 3044, Rundle Mall  5000,  Australia
Phone/Fax:  (08) or (+618) 8338 2460
Mobile/Cellular:  (+61) 015 793 652
e-mail: [log in to unmask]