HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jay and Beth Stottman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:56:45 -0500
I have seen the term queensware used in city directory advertisements into
the 1880s and possibly later.  It seems to have, at least for some historic
period peoples, to have been a generic term for white dishes.  I think this
points to the ambiguity of term and its usage in the past by ceramic dealers
and stores, which makes its use in the present for artifact analysis
problematic, much more so than your standard ware types that we typically
use.  Not that they are beyond debate.

M. Jay Stottman
Kentucky Archaeological Survey