HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rich Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 10:48:29 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Smoke" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: B&W prints/negatives

>> Can't view our slides since the bulb is burnt out in the projector.
> (Well actually, we can.  We just hold them between our fingers and
> hold them up to the pretty government florescent lights.)  Nobody in
> town carries them anymore and the Feds won't let us buy on eBay.
>
> :-(

Time to invest in a high res film scanner.  Material from the 60's and
70's,even those that have been kept in controlled environments, are now
beginning to deteriorate.  The color slides seem to go first losing their
color, and this problem can be rectified for the most part.  Some say that
mold on the surface can be adequately removed but we've seen mold that
actually ate through the emulsion and that is no longer a problem just on
the surface.  Once these inclusions start showing up in abundance there
isn't much that can be done even with the best scanners and the latest
software.

We have a high end Minolta film scanner here with Digital ICE software.  It
has been very useful in converting and enhancing deteriorated slides. I've
heard that the Nikon does well too.  We opted for the Minolta because it is
capable of handling larger formats and film widths.

Regards,

Rich Green
Historic Archaeological Research
4338 Hadley Court