HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marty Pickands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:48:04 -0500
Lee-

You are talking about galoshes. Rubber Galoshes were introduced by J.W.
Goodyear in 1824 or thereabouts, but when the buckles were introduced, I
am not sure. They do appear on several styles of boots in the 1897 Sears
catalog, but do not appear to have become common yet. My mother used to
tell me that in the '20s it was considered somewhat rebellious for girls
to wear their galoshes unfastened so that they would flap, thus the
origin of the term "flapper" for a rowdy young woman.

Marty Pickands, New York State Museum

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/23/06 1:13 PM >>>
Hi All,

Does anyone have any information on when hooks for rubber boots were
introduced?  The kind I mean consist of a metal hook with a series of
rectangular holes in it, and the other side of the hook has a metal
tongue
that goes through one of the rectangular holes and folds over, locking
and
tightening the hook. There is plenty of info on shoes and boots, but
nothing
is usually mentioned about the hardware.  Sometime ago I was trying to
find
info on the hooks found on work and hiking boots that I call speed
hooks or
speed laces - but nothing!
Thanks,
Lee Cranmer