HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"R. Paul Hampson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:58:39 +0100

Doreen Cooper sent:
----------

Archaeology at the Pantheon Saloon site in Klondike Gold Rush National
Historical Park in Skagway, Alaska is presented for public consumption on a page
of our park's main website.  The Pantheon Saloon site began as a hotel and then
a hardware store during the gold rush of 1897-1898, and then became a saloon
from 1903-1916.  The still-standing building is being rehabilitated by the
National Park Service for other uses, and the archaeological excavations arose
from Section 106 regulations.  A final report will be published in early 1999.

So please stop in and visit our cyber-site, your comments, suggestions and
witticisms would be very welcome!  The site address is:

http://www.nps.gov/KLGO/panth.htm

The site designer was Tim Kardatzke of KLGO.

Doreen Cooper, Project Archeologist
Klondike Gold Rush NHP
Skagway, Alaska  99840

The URL as given didn't work for me.  A search through NPS got me to the site with the following URL, an all lower case version:

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/panth.htm

Interesting slide presentation of excavation unit stages, a concept that might be quite useful and developed further.  Some of the labels on the archeology map are too small to read and therefore distracting.  A picture of deconstruction had good resolution, consequently it loaded quite slowly at the 1.5 K transfer rate I experienced, file size warning might go well.  Glad to see more of this sort of presentation being made available.  Now, how to make the public aware of the availability.  Perhaps a specific links page on the SAA site with promotion of that location to public schools, etc.?

Paul