HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Margaret Hangan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2013 13:40:09 -0800
Richard;
I am the forest archaeologist for the Kaibab N.F located near the Grand Canyon.  The Beal Road, which the camels were drivin along, crosses a portion of one of my forest.  I am not aware of us finding artifacts that are specific to camel husbandry.  But we do know the location of at least one of the main camp areas, Laws Springs.  It was habitually used by the military and other travellers on the road because it was one of the few reliable water sources in the area.  Consequently, it is very likely that it is one of the camp locations for the camel troups.  We've also marked the historic road with small signs with camels on them.

If your interested in information about the location of the spring and Beal Road email me at [log in to unmask]