HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2013 13:40:09 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Richard;
I am the forest archaeologist for the Kaibab N.F located near the Grand Canyon.  The Beal Road, which the camels were drivin along, crosses a portion of one of my forest.  I am not aware of us finding artifacts that are specific to camel husbandry.  But we do know the location of at least one of the main camp areas, Laws Springs.  It was habitually used by the military and other travellers on the road because it was one of the few reliable water sources in the area.  Consequently, it is very likely that it is one of the camp locations for the camel troups.  We've also marked the historic road with small signs with camels on them. 

If your interested in information about the location of the spring and Beal Road email me at [log in to unmask]

--- On Fri, 1/11/13, Richard Wright <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Subject: Camels in US
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, January 11, 2013, 12:38 PM

Hi folks;

I am working on a book on the Camels experiment in British Columbia. I have completed the Canadian end of the research, including walking two camels along a section of the Cariboo Road.
Now I am heading south to Fort Tejon and other Southwest points to research the US end of the story.  Yes, I know the BC camels did not come from the Texas importation.
Has anyone on this list found any archeology reports or know of finds relating to camels in Texas (such as Fort Verde) Arizona or California?
I know no remains have been found in B.C. but perhaps in the dry desert there have been.

Any suggestions welcome.

Richard Wright

Wells, B.C. Canada

ATOM RSS1 RSS2