HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Arnott, Sigrid" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 12:14:48 -0500
 I am an archaeologist working with a landscape architecture team to create
design guidelines for the conversion of a nineteenth century industrial
archaeology site into a city heritage and recreational park. The site
currently consists of a buried  waterpower canal and foundations of former
mills. The foundations, which were not intended to be exposed to the
elements, are made of a friable limestone and there is concern that exposing
them will cause their further deterioration.

Is anyone aware of conservation or treatment guidelines for ruins,
especially limestone? Also, is anyone aware of similar types of sites that
have been converted to parks? There will need to be vistor ammenities, such
as railings, ramps etc. and I would be curious to know how others have dealt
with these issues.

Thanks in advance,
Sigrid Arnott
BRW inc.