HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Christopher Salter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:22:13 +0100
On Mon, 27 Jul 1998 12:14:33 -0700 Anne Stolla
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> A question on the subject of building materials --- I've just returned from a
> short visit to France where spent most of my time focused on palaeolithic cave
> and stone tools.  Naturally I spent alot of time looking at wonderful objects
> made from what the French call "silex."  Having the image of silex handaxes
> still fresh in mind, I also visited the English town of Canterbury and was
> surprised to find there original walls faced with what looked for all the worl
> like debitage. I was told they call these walls "flints."  They are attractive
,

No the walls are not called flints, the stones they are
made of are flints. They are derived from the chalk,
therefore to have flint walls you must have chalk (or have
had in the recent geological past) in the the region.

> a mottled charcoal grey or black and quite sharp to touch---I imagine nasty to
> climb.  Is someone out there familiar with flint wall construction?  Please
> forgive my California-born ignorance -- are there such structures in the U.S.?
> Couldn't help wondering if the flints used might have--inadvertantly?--include
> prehistoric flint artifacts.  Any known cases of this?

I don't know of any recorded example, but it is almost
bound to have happened.

> Anne Stoll, Behavioral Sciences
> University of La Verne
> La Verne, CA 91750

Chris Salter

E-mail [log in to unmask]

Dept of Materials,
Oxford University,
Parks Rd,
OX1 3PH, England

                    and

Research Laboratory for Archaeology & History of Art,
6 Keble Road, Oxford University, OX1 3QJ

Telphone
+44 1865 273728 Office (Answer Phone)
+44 1865 273933 SEMPROBE
+44 1865 273794 Fax Department of Materials
+44 1865 273932 Fax Research Lab. for Archaeology
+44 1865 283033 Research Lab. for Archaeology Office