HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Vergil Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 08:35:13 -0500
     Speaking of clandestine digging, anyone see the syndicated medical
     advice column by Dr. Gott published in many Saturday newspapers this
     past weekend?  The writer wanted to know if he could contract any
     diseases while "privy digging."  It seems he has eye on some
     50-year-old privies that he wants to get into for bottles and other
     relics.  The good doctor advised him that there was probably very
     little health risk, but wondered why he would be intersted in privies
     used in the 1950s--since that was in his own lifetime and folks then
     rarely used them as trash recepticles.  Instead, he highly recommended
     searching for privies on old farmsteads, where the you could find
     really good stuff--the older, the better!

     Imagine if we anyone were to hand out harmful and outrageous medical
     advice publicly.  Accordingly, I'm planning to write a pretty pointed
     letter to Dr. Gott and to my local newspaper.  Unfortunately, I did
     not bring the paper in to the office today, but I will attempt to scan
     the text and provide the doctor's address tomorrow for those of you
     interested in piling on.  Perhaps a coordinated campaign of protest
     might even result in a retraction of such bad advice.