HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Fred Oglesby & A. J. Taylor <[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 12:50:44 -0700
Dear Michael Nassaney:

I wanted to thank you for responding to my query about trade goods.  I am
particularly interested in locating hard information about the manufacture
of metal projectile points (arrow and lance points) for the Indian trade.
Over the years I have managed to accumulate information on historic Indian
sites, and especially one particular artifact type -- metal projectile
points (1000+ thus far), from the Southern Plains and adjoining regions.
This is a long-term, side project of mine that has reached critical mass,
obviously.

I have been casting far afield in my literature research to determine the
origin(s) for the limited number of obviously mass-produced metal
projectile points in my study sample.  I am aware that at least some
cutlery companies produced such projectile points, but have yet to
determine how extensive (or intensive) such production was, or the
appearance of these trade points.

Any further suggestions regarding useful publications to consult will be
appreciated.  Thanks again!

A.J. Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Tempe, AZ