HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Patrick Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 22:28:42 -0400
Thanks again James (Murphy) for the pipe article in The Kiva (1974) on Fort
Union (NM).

I reread your article on "Reed Stem Tobacco Pipes from Point Pleasant,
Clermont County, Ohio" in Northeast Historical Archaeology (vol. 5, nos.
1-2, 1976), and see similarities of the bowl style to Point Pleasant Ringed
Elbow (Figs. 7n-o). I look forward to reading your Kiva article on the reed
stem tobacco pipes from Fort Union. I take it that both the Point Pleasant
and Fort Union data for reed stem tobacco pipes suggest a date range of
1860-1895. Is this the date range for manufacture of these tobacco pipes, or
their period of popularity?

Pat Tucker