HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cyler Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 2017 17:28:10 -0600
John, that's an interesting artifact!

Dedie, no need to laugh at all :) I'm a bagpiper and it looks quite similar
to a pipe mouthpiece. The odd factors are the additional holes drilled
perpendicular through the shaft. Those holes would make the blowpipe
essentially useless, and they are not present on any modern/historical
pipes that I know of...if this artifact represented a chanter, it's
possible that you would find holes drilled through the shaft, but they
should only appear on one side.

I know Galician gaitas vary in design from Scottish (highland) pipes,
especially in their drone structure, but these basic characteristics should
be the same. So I would be surprised, but also excited, if this was from a
bagpipe...I suspect though that it represents something else!

Now you've inspired me to want to understand the archaeological record for
bagpipes!

Take care,
Cyler

--