HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 14:09:17 EDT
Lyle,

As some others have pointed out, chemicals and paper for printing the old
way will survive for artists and professional photographers. As an owner of
Kodak stock, I know they continue to produce these materials and will do so in
the future for that narrow clientele. And if not Kodak, there will always be
someone to fill that hole, as with the case of the carousel projectors (I still
 have mine from 1976 and still buy parts). But the real problem with digital
is  that the kinds of memory products will change. As I have been so fond of
pointing out, the Smithsonian Institution long ago stopped purchasing
computers  to read all the forms of media that have been produced because there will
always  be "new" reading devices and obsolete ones. Face it, the only thing
that will  survive the next century will be paper in HVAC controlled spaces.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.