HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
JAMES MURPHY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 20:59:53 -0400
A couple comments on the recent posts by Pfeiifer and Genheimer.  As I pointed out in my initial post, Pat Tucker’s  Wood Co., Ohio, pipe is closest to a style from the Kirkpatrick-Peterson factory at Point Pleasant, Clermont Co., Ohio, but does not exactly match any of the styles from this site.  So Bob and I agree on this.  However, as I also noted, it very definitely does not agree with the similar styles known from the Akron pipe manufacturers.

Having rooted around in my basement, I can also confirm that it definitely is not an Anna, Illinois, pipe, though a similar style was made there by the Kirkpatricks.

So, while Point Pleasant is the best guess, it remains uncertain.  As for the Point Pleasant industry, Pfeiffer seems to confuse two different factories there.  The best known, 33-Ct-256, was first operated by William P. Lakin, who died in 1843.  We don’t know whether he made pipes but I consider it unlikely.  Cornwall Kirkpatrick operated it from 1849-1853, and he is generally considered to have introduced the pipe-making, but the only evidence is the fact that the Kirkpatricks made pipes at their other factories in Kentucky and Illinois.  The next owner, Nathan Davis, 1856-1871, definitely made pipes, as at least one style has his initials.  This would probably include many of those found at Civil War era sites, although these styles could be holdovers from the Kirkpatrick period. The pottery was operated by the three Peterson brothers from 1874-1883, then as Peterson & Co. or Peterson & Cooper for a short time.  It was sold at sheriff’s sale in 1887.  Pipe production prob
ably did not extend much beyond 1883.

When Pfeiffer mentions that it lasted until 1913, citing Sudbury 1986, he is confusing the Kirkpatrick-Peterson pottery with the Clermont Pottery, which stood upstream at the site of the present Point Pleasant Church.  It was operated by Bainum and Peterson until the 1913 flood but did not produced this plain, ringed elbow style.

Jim Murphy