HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 08:27:17 -0400
Perhaps and very perhaps the "balls" were the adjusting spheres set at
the compass binnacle to offset various "influences" from the rigging
and armament. The "brass" what they were made of (non ferrous) or a
metaphor for the guy looking at it who'd tell you he'd started out as
a youth as a "powder monkey" the juveniles, assumed orphans, who
assisted the firing of naval weapons in some navies (Union navy during
the American Civil War had some). Then again it might be referring to
an anatomical reaction of male humans "cremasteric reflex" (Canadian
wordsmith Bill Casselman discusses at
http://www.billcasselman.com/canadian_sayings_three/csthree_five_fear_saying.htm)