HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Andy Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 21:37:13 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: Barbara J Hickman +ADw-ASHKII2+AEA-AOL.COM+AD4-
To: HISTARCH+AEA-ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU +ADw-HISTARCH+AEA-ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU+AD4-
Date: Thursday, August 27, 1998 7:05 PM
Subject: Re: history of contract archaeology

+AD4-Over the years, people have attributed contract archeology's beginnings to
the
+AD4-concept of +ACI-salvage archeology+ACI- done by academic archeologists in t
he late
+AD4-1960s on a shoestring, often voluntary basis.  One example is the work of
Fred
+AD4-Windproof in New Mexico in reaction to site destruction by highway
+AD4-construction.  Yes, the NAPA of 1966 was in place, but there was little to
+AD4-implement it.  My state's DOT did not consider archeological resources in
the
+AD4-area of potential effect until 1970.
+AD4-
+AD4-CRAM as-we-know-it in the western US received its impetus from Nixon's
+AD4-executive order of 1973 (I don't remember the number) regarding the
necessity
+AD4-for archeological investigations on federal property or projects.  Contract
+AD4-units at universities and private CRAM firms begin to proliferate after
that
+AD4-time.  The major difference in the post EO period is that fewer projects
were
+AD4-paid by federal/state money and more by private business, particularly the
oil
+AD4-and gas industry.  In states such as Wyoming, that meant that the number of
+AD4-archeological surveys and recorded sites went through the roof.
+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4-Barbara Hickman, former high plains drifter.
Its EO 11593
Andy