HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Janet Panning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 1995 16:33:05 -0500
2 June 95

I am trying to find out anything about the author of the book "Spanish
and English Ruins in Jamaica"   Willaim B. Goodwin, b. 1866; printed in
Boston 1949 by Meador House.

Did he do any other works?

What was his occupation or credentials?

His book has some good information in it, and (as I have confirmed from
field observations) some that is totally wrong for one of his listed
sites.  I'm trying to determine how much trust can be placed on other
parts of this book.

Local (Universtity of the West Indies) archeologist have no further
knowledge of him other than he wrote the book.

I'm open to any info sources that you might know.

Steve Panning
Kingston JAMAICA