HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
JAMES MURPHY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 10:20:10 -0400
Zumwalt's Ketchup, Pickles, Sauces illustrates a Gulden's bottle very similar in style to yours but approximately 12 inches high and including eight of the donut-like ribs.  Unfortunately, she says nothing more about it than "rare."  She also provides some history of the company: Charles Gulden b 1843, by age 17 worked for his uncle, George . Niessen owner of the Union Mustard Mills.  Jacob, Charles' father, operated a mustard plant on Prince St., New York as early as 1860.  Jacob formed a partnership in 1864, setting up the Excelsior Mustard Co.  "Within three years, Charles branched out on his own.  It is suspected that at this time a brief partnership was formed with Adophus Liedecker."  In 1875 Charles was lcoated at 65 Elizabeth, with home at 244 E. 82nd.  There is a bit more information I gloss over.  Charles, Jr., took over management until his death in 1911, succeeded by brother Frank.  Company incorporated August, 1916, Frank, Sr., retired in 1934 and Frank, Jr., bec

ame head.  Zumwalt includes several bottle patents but not for the one you have.

Jim Murphy