HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 06:47:04 -0500
There is a problem with posting reports on line, which is the problem of
archival preservation. The Web is not forever, and it would be pointless to
download every report you might want to consult someday. On the other hand,
a searchable on lineindex to CRM reports and other grey sources would be a
treasure beyond price.

On the other hand, we have had excellent results from posting drafts on our
website (address in signature, below). We can post works-in-progress for
comment, and we get excellent feedback results. Instead of circulating a
paper draft to a small circle of friends, I can throw a draft open to the
whole world for review.

So before we use the Web for a traditional purpose (circulating reports),
we should look at different ways for this tool to help us do our job.

  _______
. | _ |  | --]   Ned Heite,                ><DARWIN>
. =(O)-----(O)=  Camden, DE 19934           / \  / \
"Baby" Series IIA 88" 2.25L petrol Land Rover
Explore Icelandic wool:  http://www.dmv.com/~iceland---------
Recent research:  http://home.dmv.com/~eheite/index.html ----