HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kerry Ogata <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 1994 22:05:37 -0400
Hi!  My name is Kerry Ogata, and I've just completed my first
year of classes in the MA program in Anthropology at University
of South Carolina.  I have 2 more classes and my thesis to go. :)
I graduated from University of Maryland College Park with a
BA in Anthropology.

My interests lie in historical archaeology, and--more specifically--
African-American archaeology. At the moment, my tentative thesis
topic is an analysis of Colonoware from South Carolina to see
if it was used for medicinal purposes by African-American women.
I hope to do this by identifying traditional herbs and plants
used in African healing and subsequently finding evidence of these by
doing trace analysis on the Colonoware.  There's a lot of
historical information on African and plantation medicine,
and I'd like to also examine the connections with African-American
folk medicine in South Carolina today.  But again, this is
a tentative topic, I haven't done a whole lot of research,
and I'm not positive it's viable!

You can reach me at either:
[log in to unmask] or

I'm always willing to discuss anthropology/archaeology with
a fellow list-member.  :)