HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2013 10:48:53 -0400
On 9/13/2013 9:35 AM, Daryl Armour wrote:
> I wanted to change the subject title so as not to pull Julia King's initial email into the wrong direction.  I am not trying to bash anyone here, but these are just my observations and thoughts (shooting from the hip with little coffee).  Also, first post on the list,
>
> print( "Hello World!" ):
>
> Its unfortunate, but its an ever more reoccurring trend within CRM.  When you think about it, it shouldn't come as a surprise when you hear people speaking out about the uselessness of Anthropology at the public/governmental level (for example Governor Scott).  We have been undervaluing people with a BA, and in some cases up to an MA, in our own profession for so long I feel it was only a matter of time before it began to be mirrored in the policy-makers sentiments.  I couldn't say I know the cause for this as I have nowhere near the amount of years put into this profession as most on this list.  On one level, you have those who paint Archaeology with a romantic brush, on the other hand, one can then look at those within the lower levels of CRM who can barely afford to pay their bills, nor have the opportunity to get a house or raise a family.
>
> I am not saying that money is everything, and I hate that response to anyone who discusses money and archaeology, of course everyone should do what they find fulfillment out of and that is why all of us are here.  But shouldn't you at least expect to have a "normal" life in which you can actually pay your bills and go out to eat once in a while?  I can only assume at SOME (not all) academic and private-sector levels, its the big business mantra of "Efficiency! Efficiency! Efficiency! Profit! Profit! Profit!" coming through, mixed with "make the best out of what you've been given."
>
> There, I said it, please don't blacklist me!
>
> On Sep 13, 2013, at 12:53 AM, Richard Lundin wrote:
>
>> Julie:
>>
>> That is ridiculous! With the new proposed MINIMUM WAGE + benefits +
>> required employer supplied healthcare they could do better at  McDonalds.
>> This is a waste of the time and money getting a BA\BS in
>> Anthropology\Archaeology.  When I am asked how to get into archaeology, I
>> say DON'T!- UNLESS YOU HAVE AN EXCELLENT MATH AND SCIENCE BACKGROUND AND
>> CAN GET INTO ARCHAEOSCIENCE (I.E. ARCHAEOGEOPHYSICS, ARCHAEOCHEMISTRY OR
>> FORENSIC ARCHEOLOGY!
>>
>> My Two Cents!
>>
>> Richard J. Lundin BA, MA, RPA, ISAP, AIPG
>> Consulting Historical Archaeologist & Archaeogeophysicist
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 5:12 PM, King, Julia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear HISTARCHers,
>>>
>>> St. Mary's College of MD is searching for a Project Archaeologist and crew
>>> (3) for a major survey focused on documenting Piscataway Indian landscapes
>>> in Southern Maryland. More information about the positions can be found at
>>> this link: http://www.smcm.edu/hr/employment.html#assist_arch. The
> [...]
FWIW, I broke all of the rules in 1985 when I insisted upon receiving
$10 per hour from a newly formed CRM firm based in Atlanta Ga. I had
clawed my way up from $5.25 to $8.00 between 1981 and 1985. 28 years
later I pay field techs $15 per hour, not because I couldn't find people
willing to work for $10, but because the people I hire are old friends
on the edge of poverty and unable to find work because there are
numerous younger people willing to work for less and travel to the
armpit (s) of the southeast to work temp jobs with no benefits. With
governments cutting funding for everything it is at least a positive
thing for Julie to offer ANY jobs at all.  I don't have any solutions to
offer, this is just an observation. I would say that forming a Union
again might help, but I suspect that there would be so many desperate
people looking for work that filling the positions with non-union
workers would not be a problem. my two cents, Carl Steen