HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jarl Keith Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 07:06:46 -0500
This is a general inquiry, a kind of "all-points-bulletin," if you will, but wi
thout the same kind of urgency.

I had earlier sent out an inquiry concerning battlefield archaeology, and got s
everal good responses, which I appreciate very much. I also was one of several
UWF students who came on Histarch, overflowing with questions, and this bothere
d some people, for which I am sorry. No harm meant.

I also somewhat "whined" at one point over my personal experience of frustratio
n as a historian/preservationist in a program chiefly for, and dominated by. ar
chaeologists (here at UWF). While I still feel strongly about the issue of coop
eration (as others clearly do), I am afraid that I should not have suggested th
at I blame any or all archaeologists for my troubles, which I am afraid that I
may have sounded like I was doing. Again, I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

Now (at last) to my new inquiry: My interest in battlefields is tied to one sit
e (or associated sites) in Henrico County, Virginia. As would be necessary to d
o a National Register nomination, or to just give things their full and propper
 consideration, I have tried to take some note of the other historic (and possi
ble prehistoric) aspects of the area in question - along Upham Brook, or Brook
Run, in the northern and western parts of the county, especially east (thats ri
ght) of U. S. Route One. Besides the set of earthworks there, I know of at leas
t one other set nearby, and of numerous historical and archaeological sites in
the vicinity and along the creek, whose existence (at least) is recorded in the
 Virginia SHPO's files. While a NR nomination has not seemed feasible without o
wner(s) cooperation, I have thought in terms of school-related papers, or even
a thesis related to site(s) and maybe even (if I dare think...) a book.

What I know of the area - along the Brook is (in general terms) as follows: Eig
hteenth and early nineteenth century farms or even "plantations" (?), including
 the one made famous by its occupant, Gabriel - of slave revolt of 1800 fame. T
hese largely giving way to suburban development, with a few of the houses left
and some of the less-readily developed land (such as swampland) left more-or-le
ss untouched (so far). Also some apparent prehistoric activity, although I pers
onally do not have much information or background to understand that.

NOW, here's my question: Having looked at state and county land records, county
 histories, books on Gabriel's revolt,... having reviewed the SHPO files - most
 of which are mainly rough, general site reports of one kind or the other, what
 other sources might there be for the period, and/or region (outside Richmond,
Virginia) actual/possible resource types, etc.? If this seems a rather nebulous
 question, I admit it is, but then such is the nature of my search - of my igno
rance. If anyone can help me in anyway - provide some answers to my question, d
irect me to others who might have answeres,... even help me narrow the field of
 my inquiry - what questions should I be asking myself in order to figure what
questions need to be asked - I would very much appreciate.

Sorry for the long preamble (ramble?). I appreciate anything anyone can do or p
rovide.

Sincerely,

Jarl Keith Jackson