HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Philip Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 18:14:02 -0500
John,
I live in Tidewater Virginia where everywhere is a Civil War site. My yard
has a ravine on it where Hookers men caught hell. I guess I'm doing damage
everytime I dig up my peanuts or dump my compost. Because I live here I am
aware that there are many different types of pothunters--and I suppose I
have been sloppy in including the purchasers of rusted rubble in that
category, I should probably make a better distinction there.

Without doubt there are cowboys out there--every now and then they bag one
on the Yorktown land and take his (and they are mostly men) car and fine him
25 grand. We are all very happy when this happens--rightfully. But I still
can go to that great antique store in Tombstone Az. and see colonial
artifacts "Dug on the Yorktown Va. Battlefield" for sale and feel my blood
pressure skyrocket. The law is in place to deal with these folks and more
power to the brave men and women in green and brown who enforce it.

But, there are also tons of less nefarious pothunters who act legally to
work their own land or some local farmer's. These are sites just as rich as
Yorktown but as yet protected by no law. In England these folks are
registered and licensed and tied into local historical societies--might this
be a solution? I agree that we can have no meaningful dialog with rogues.
But there are plenty of people out there who engage in legal site
destruction who we may be able to rope into our way of seeing things. Again
there is a heavy overlap between the bullet nuts and the battlefield
preservation movement--this seeming contradiction may be the key to
understanding the mindset.

And what about the purchasers? These folks also break no law (with certain
exceptions obviously). Williamsburg had been fairly successful in closing
down local relic shops, but that is a local practice and not a real legal
policy. The folks who buy want a connection--and as has come up here many
pros are not much different. Can we offer a connection and maybe undermine
the desire that helps fuel the market?