Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 23:53:22 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
It looks like the lid for a jar of cosmetics.  Sorry, I have no references for you here at work, but you might look at contemporary (1830s-1840s) English ceramics for a counterpart.

Dedie Snow

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Misty Jackson
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2013 4:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Whiteware artifact

Dear Histarchers

I have an artifact that I could use some help identifying. It's a whiteware piece with black transferprinting found in Saginaw, Michigan near the part of the city originally platted ca. 1830. It's appears to be a disk, possibly a lid, or it's possibly the base for a piece of stemware/egg cup. The bottom or side without the transferprinting is less glazed, either by design or wear, and ever so slightly concave. The printing appears to be an address: "_____7 R. Gren  - Lazare PAR", which I take to be ___7 Rue Gren[oble?]-Lazare PARIS.

From an online search I've determined that Saint-Lazare Paris became a train station in 1837, and today it's also a shopping district.

Any thoughts on what this is or where I might look for more info would be most appreciated.

www.flickr.com/photos/arbrecroche/8424411411/

www.flickr.com/photos/arbrecroche/8425530948/

Thanks,

Misty

Misty Jackson, Ph.D., RPA
Arbre Croche Cultural Resources
214 South Main Street
Leslie, Michigan 49251

ATOM RSS1 RSS2