HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Legare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 05:53:58 -0800
It was a priest who prompted the expedition.  His name
escapes me at the moment.  Stefan was sent to Hawikah
(one of the largest of the Zuni Pueblos) in advance of
Coronado's party.  He expected that the women could be
used as he saw fit (the conquistadores thought of
themselves as caballeros (gentry) while they viewed
the farming pueblo people as an in-place population of
peones to exploit.  For his actions, he and his party
were attacked and killed.

Hawikah was later abandoned due to disease and warfare
with the spanish.

--- Ron May <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I thought Stephen separated from Coronado when part
> of the party went west
> in search of a river to meet up with Hernan de
> Alarcon. Stephen and a group of
> Native Americans went on alone, but died at the
> gates of a Pueblo city. The
> details of all this are really quite sketchy and I
> am not sure anyone knows
> the  details. Wasn't this a privately funded
> expedition in search of the fabled
> Cibola? I think a priest returned to Mexico with a
> fanciful tale that caused
> the  expedition, right?
>
> Ron May
> Legacy 106, Inc.

Sponsored Link

Don't quit your job - take classes online
www.Classesusa.com