HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
elizabeth west <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 16:35:00 -0700
I realize this is getting away from the original topic of fauna and soap
but how was livestock aquired in the early colonies? Was it shipped over
in some fashion? Would there have been any advantages to shipping pigs in
transatlantic trade rather than cattle?
In regards to sheep it is my understanding that many weavers came to the
colonies but without their sheep! Because there was a shortage of wool
some job restructuring took place. It would seem that the return would be
greater to use sheep for wool rather than for food consumption so it is
not surprising that pork out numbers mutton in the faunal
remains. I am interested to hear what others think.

cheers,
liz west