HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jim Bowles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:46:52 -0700
Hi all,

jb) Everything from Zebra mussels (dumped in Lake Erie) to just plain junk has been used to
ballast ships. But perhaps the most interesting are the whispering sands of Lake Michigan.

There are (at least) two Lake Michigan beaches on the southern shores of the Upper Peninsula
that have a rare sand, in that they "whisper" as you walk across them. I have not researched
this phenomenon world wide, but I know there are such sands in the Queen's Chamber of the Great
Pyramid.

I know of a cache of the "whispering" Pyramid sand in the UK, so when I go to Michigan this
Summer I'll get some of the Michigan variety and have it compared.

jb