HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2008 23:41:16 GMT
Rita- As you look around for an appropraite color standard, you might also look at the Geological Society of America Rock Color Chart.  Apparently it is no longer in print through GSA, but there is a facsimilie at this site:

http://people.uncw.edu/dockal/gly312/rockdescpt/rock-color-chart.htm

The GSA Rock Color Chart (produced by Munsell) might be a preferable tool than either the complete Pantone or Munsell system because you may end up spending less time making distinctions without "significance."  Or perhaps you could do an initial sort with the Rock Color Chart, and if you needed a more detailed description, go to the complete Munsell or Pantone Scales?

Finally, at risk of embarassing myself by stating the obvious, the color readings you get from any standard will depend on the ambient moisture and lighting and the moisture and homogeniety of the color mix of your specimens.  I will be interested to hear what you come up with. - Mark

Mark Henderson
Chupadero Archeological Resources, LLC
Henderson, Nevada

-- Rita Eagle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello-
I'm doing a master's thesis research project with trade beads assemblages
from some Alutiiq sites we have investigated on the outer Kenai coast.

I've been trying to track down a copy of the Munsell Book of Color for my
bead descriptions, but have been unable to get one even through interlibrary
loan.  They are $675 new.

I certainly understand the need for uniform descriptions so that information
is easily compared between sites.  I'm thinking also that if this is so hard
for me to come up with, it's probably a problem for others as well.

What do people think about using the Pantone color reference?  Seems to be
more readily available.

Thanks in advance for your time, comments and suggestions.

Sincerely,

Rita Eagle

--
Rita Eagle
1333 East 26th Avenue

Click now to choose from thousands of designs for your checks!
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2241/fc/Ioyw6i4t2Y4J2Oi4u838h6g2t6DL3BSXFVLcdfdLSbY6EUdVhWK4WT/