HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 18:51:16 EST
     Dear Brumfield-A,

     I am replying to your request for information on poured concrete
     houses.  The Base Commander's Quarters, called Belle Chance, on
     Andrews Air Force Base is a poured concrete house that was constructed
     in 1912.  It was constructed by Dr. William Stewart after a fire
     destroyed his previous residence.  There are 3 concrete outbuildings
     as well.  It is included in the Inventory of Historic Properties of
     the Maryland Historical Trust.

     There is another poured concrete house in Pennsylvania, but I don't
     know anything about it.  A good source of info on it is Frank Matero,
     a professor at the University of Pennsylvania - (215) 898-3169.  He
     does historic preservation and, I believe, is working to restore this
     house.

     In 1907, the Taft Bridge (Connecticut Avenue Bridge) in Washington, DC
     was completed.  It is an unreinforced, poured concrete bridge, and at
     the time of its construction, it was the longest unreinforced bridge
     in the world.  There were many articles about the bridge and its
     construction in Engineering News around the turn of the century.

     Another possible source of information is Andrej Dajnowski, a
     conservationist who is working to restore a concrete fountain in
     Chicago.  He works for the Chicago Park District.  His phone no. is
     (312) 747-2573.

     Finally, you might also contact the National Register of Historic
     Places. John Byrne is their database manager and could run a search
     for you on poured concrete houses or houses designed by Thomas Edison.
     His number is (202) 343-9543.

     Poured concrete houses from that period are definitely important
     historic resources.

     I hope this has helped.    Alice