HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Trinkley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 1995 21:19:56 -0400
Norman Thomas inquires regarding possible opium.

While we have no experience with this particular form, opium in medicine
chests (as opium granulatum, pulvis opil, or opium pulveratum) is typically a
dark chestnut-colored mass. It is considered a level 3 health risk (high). It
is poisonious by ingestion. There is mutagenic data on opium. It is also
combustible when exposed to heat or flame.

In addition, while doing our research (again, oriented toward museum
collections) we found that museums are not eligible for registration under
the Federal Uniform Controlled Substances Act since the business activity of
a museum does not involve the use of, or the need to possess controlled
substances (at least according to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administation).
Consequently, possession of controlled substances by museums, even in
collections or as historical artifacts, is unlawful. For what its worth.

Finally, we have found that biologicals, such as opium (which is really
nothing more than the concentrated juice of the unripe capsules of _Papaver
somniferum_), tend not to degrade over time, at least in typical museum
storage environments.  I will be interested in hearing from others who may
have more information on the effects of salt water.

Best wishes.

Mike Trinkley
Chicora Foundation, Inc.
PO Box 8664