HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:18:30 -0500
Apologies for cross-posting.

Following is an outline for a session at the 6th World Archaeological Congress to be held in Dublin from 29th June to 4th July 2008. If interested in participating, please send an abstract of c. 150-200 words, off-list, to John Carman ([log in to unmask]). We look forward to hearing from you.

John Carman & Carol McDavid
Co-organisers

SESSION FOR WAC-6 THEME:
ARCHAEOLOGICAL THEORY? LEGACIES, BURDENS, FUTURES:

SESSION:
WHERE THE FUTURE OF ARCHAEOLOGICAL THEORY LIES

Session organisers:
Dr John Carman
Birmingham University Research Fellow and Senior Lecturer in Heritage Valuation
Institute of Archaeology and Antiquity, Arts Building
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Tel: +44 (0)121 414 7493 Fax: +44 (0)121 414 3595
Email: [log in to unmask]

Dr Carol McDavid
Co-Director for Public Archaeology, Yates Community Archaeology Project and
Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of Houston, Texas, USA
1638 Branard, Houston, TX 77006, USA
Email: [log in to unmask]

Session outline
This session was inspired by a question posted to an archaeological discussion list a few months ago: where are the new ideas in archaeological theory deriving from? The two organisers of this session responded by suggesting that it can be found in the fields of archaeological heritage and public archaeology, where archaeologists are having to confront the central issues of what archaeology does, what archaeology makes, and what archaeology is for. Having spoken out, and received little in the way of further response, we thought it necessary to put our money where our mouth is and to justify our claims, while also giving space to those who would question our certitude on this issue. We therefore propose a session that will outline those aspects of public archaeology that are contributing to the development of new theory in archaeology and the consequences for the development of the discipline these entail.

We invite proposals for papers from those engaged in studying or working in public archaeology and related fields, which make the connection between archaeological theory and their work. Papers may seek to outline new developments in theory arising from such work, new applications of established archaeological theory, or how theory from other fields (political science, economics, law, sociology, literary or critical studies, etc.) becomes relevant to archaeological practice. We welcome also more sceptical papers which challenge our own view.

Carol McDavid, Ph.D.
1638 Branard
Houston, TX 77006
www.webarchaeology.com