HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 07:50:46 -0700
Hello group.  I'm a new subscriber so be gentle.

Within a month, I will begin mitigation of a 1904 railroad construction
camp associated with the "Salt Lake Route" between Salt Lake City and
Los Angeles.  Located south of Las Vegas, Nevada, the camp consists of a
minimum of 20 tent pads, a mess hall area and associated refuse, siding
and earthen siding platforms, a possible camp sutler tent pad, privy
pits, and numerous rock dome structures thought to represent ovens.  We
know that Italians and Irish were employed to work on the line from Salt
Lake City south to a point just south of Las Vegas and Mexicans were
hired to work the line from L.A. north to the joining of the rails.

Assuming that the rock dome structures are roasting/baking ovens (found
in close association with the living area away from the mess hall), why
was it necessary for workers to construct these structures when meals
were provided by the contractor?  Is this an example of snacking
behavior to compensate for the lack of an adequate/nourshing meal?

Would be interested in hearing from anyone/everbody who has dealt with
railroad construction camps, references, ideas, etc.  Particularly rock
dome "ovens."  Has work been done in California on the SP,LA,&SL line so
that we can compare information on the differences between the ethnic
camps?  How about snacking behavior in "company room and board" type
environments?  TKS.......ww