HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
michael gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2017 09:58:08 -0500
Greetings All,

Does anyone know of a web site(s) that identifies permits/licenses issued
by Federal agencies for construction/development projects, which will then
require Section 106 consideration? I'm hoping for a site(s) that shows the
issuance of permits/licenses before a project begins, and not after it ends
or as a summary of what an agency has done for the year.

What about a site that shows Federal funding for construction/development
projects, which would also need Section 106 consideration?

The reason for my inquiry is I'm involved with research focused on the
Civil War-era site of Camp Douglas, which is located in Chicago, IL, and
I'm trying to get out in front of any Federally assisted development that
may occur within the site's boundaries. The site is located in an urban
setting and has no ground surface visibility, although limited excavations
have revealed that intact site deposits exist. Despite the site features
and artifacts we have exposed or recovered, I think that the Camp Douglas
Restoration Foundation will have an uphill battle convincing most historic
preservation officials that more of the site exists--again urban setting
with no surface visibility--than we have found, although I've done
historical map research that suggests as much as 30% of the site is intact
across the 60 acres that defined the camp. Also very little archaeology
gets done in Chicago for reasons that I don't fully understand or that have
never been adequately explained to me. Camp Douglas and the urban
neighborhood, which includes Chicago's African-American Bronzeville,
created after the camp's closure are too important and interesting to be
written-off because they occur in an urban setting.

I understand that if no Federal funds/permits/license are involved then the
Section 106 process will not apply, but I'm also working on Illinois State
and City of Chicago legislations/ordinances that might apply.

I'm hoping that Federal land managers or others who are members of this
list may be able to direct me to one or more sites that show which Federal
agencies are providing funds/permits/licenses for projects proposed across
the county, but especially for the Chicago area.

I suspect that no single internet page/site exists, listing pending or
issued Federal funding, permits, and licenses for projects, and that I will
have to search each agency's web site for the information if in fact it is
posted.

Thank you to all who may provide assistance regarding my inquiry.

my best,

mike

michael m. gregory, phd
Director, Camp Douglas Restoration Foundation, Inc.
4807 West Woodlawn Court
Milwaukee, Wisconsin  53208

414-534-5143 <(414)%20534-5143> (cell)

http://www.campdouglas.org