HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Kevin M. Bartoy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 16:47:38 -0800
I think that Phil and Neal raised some good points ... but I still cringe
when I hear the phrase that "we need to educate the public." Whenever I
hear these few words ... it sounds more like the calls to self-preservation
that we alluded to earlier. I believe that may "pothunters" or potential
pothunters ... as has been suggested by Randy McGuire among others ... have
a sincere interest in the past. I think it may be more appropriate to say
that archaeologists need to educate themselves as to the failure of the
discipline to be inclusive of many different interests.

One of the points that I was particularly struck by ... and that has held
my interest as of late ... is the possibility of avocationalists being
included within the dialogue instead of being looked down upon. I admit
that I haven't looked into this matter enough ... but to my knowledge ...
two successful examples come into mind ... first would be the
Archaeological Society of Virginia ... and second would be the partnerships
formed by the Arkansas Archaeological Survey with many local groups.

If we are so worried about "science" and the "loss of information" ... what
we should be teaching is how to properly excavate a site ... not to "keep
your hands off and get a professional in there." I imagine that many
avocationalists could do as good a job ... if not better ... than many
professional archaeologists that I have come into contact with. How can
getting a PhD ensure the "proper recovery" of archaeological sites? I think
that some of the worst excavators that I have met have been individuals
with doctorates who don't have the time to spend but a few weeks a year in
the dirt.

Again ... I think that arguing along these lines brings us back to issues
of status and class that dominate (although in a veiled way) archaeological
discourse.

Now ... before I sign off ... I think that one of our problems in this
discussion has been the nebulous use of the term "pothunters" ... so we
must keep in mind that this word has been used to refer to several
different groups of folks out there ... many of whom might take great
offence to that label. I don't know of any studies that address "who" these
people are ... and most studies would only tell us who the bad ones are
(ie. the ones who get caught). I think I do remember an article about folks
at artifact shows in the midwest though ...

Kevin.