HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
m s cassell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
m s cassell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 00:02:43 -0600
Folks-

I am interested in organizing a session at the SHA meetings in Quebec in
2000 entitled something like, "History and Archaeology of Industrial Labor
Development: Landscapes of Change on a Global Scale".  I here solicit
prospective presenters in this session.

Papers would discuss regional / national / local processes and places which
document material attempts of industrial interests to use the built
environment in efforts to shape social groups into industrial laborers in
the 18th-20th centuries.  The built environment and landscapes can include
factories, agriculture, mining, towns, etc; be creative!  The locations or
processes discussed in the
session can and should span the globe, and thus represent in some way the
consistencies and variabilities occuring in the expansion of capitalism and
industrialization around the world.  An example would be my contribution,
the development of an Eskimo labor force by and for the commercial whaling
industry in the western Arctic in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

You can reach me on list, or off list at  [log in to unmask] .  I will be at
the SHA meetings in Salt Lake City should you wish to chat there.  Abstracts
are due 1 June 1999.

Thanks!

Mark Cassell